Along with energy balls, gluten free flapjacks are one of my favourite healthy snack recipes. They are perfect to take to work, to the gym for a post-workout snack or for energy on a long walk!
I love the flavour of hemp protein powder as it has a lovely natural nutty sweetness so does not require as much sweetener when used in recipes. It also provides a subtle green colour to anything recipe it is added to. I find that hemp protein powder is a perfect low FODMAP protein source as it is easily digestible and never causes me any IBS-related symptoms. It contains all known essential amino acids and is a naturally vegan complete protein. I added chia seeds into the recipe to give a little extra texture to the bars. The crunchiness of the little seeds works perfectly with the soft and chewy oats!
If you are a hemp protein powder fan like me then I definitely recommend giving this quick and easy recipe a go. You won’t be disappointed!
Makes 9-12 bars
100g coconut oil, melted
95g maple syrup
½ tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
25g chia seeds (I used Goodyfull chia seeds)
30g hemp protein powder (I used Goodyfull hemp powder, for 10% off any of their superfoods use my discount code: naughty10)
225g gluten free porridge oats
2 tbsp shelled hemp seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160oc and line an 8×8 inch square tin
- In a bowl mix together the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla and almond milk
- First stir in the hemp protein powder then add chia seeds and oats to the bowl
- Mix everything together until the oats are completely coated and beginning to stick together
- Press the oat mixture into the tin and sprinkle over the hemp seeds if using
- Bake the flapjacks in the oven for 15 minutes then leave to cool completely before cutting into squares
- Store in an airtight container