As my chestnut and chocolate cookie cups were so popular I decided create another simple, chocolatey chestnut recipe just in time for Christmas! These mousses are so light and tasty, making them the perfect last minute sweet-treat after a big meal. They are gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free and FODMAP friendly.
I’d never tried chestnut in a sweet dish until I made my cookie cups and I couldn’t believe how good it tastes with chocolate. I cannot recommend this combination enough!
200g chestnut puree
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
6 tbsp rice milk
Zest of 1 orange
2 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
50ml maple syrup
1 250ml coconut cream carton
2-3 whole chestnuts, finely chopped
1 tbsp cacao nibs
1 tbsp orange zest (made with a julienne peeler)
- Start by placing the carton of coconut cream in the fridge to thicken for 30 minutes
- Add all the other ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until thick and smooth
- Pour the chestnut mixture into a bowl and store in the freezer while you prepare the coconut cream
- Once chilled, scrape the coconut cream into a large bowl
- Using an electric whisk, beat the coconut cream for a good few minutes until it is thick and aerated
- Gently add the chestnut mixture to the coconut cream
- Using a spatula, fold the chestnut mixture into the coconut cream until it is fully combined
- Seperate the mousse into 4 ramekins and sprinkle over your choice of toppings
- Store in the freezer or enjoy straight away!