These incredibly delicious chewy cookie bars are what happens when I can’t decide whether to make a new cookie recipe or a new cake recipe. So they are something in between! I’d describe them a cross between a blondie and a chewy cookie!
They are gluten free, low FODMAP, refined sugar free and vegan. Plus they are SO easy to make. Trust me this is one chocolatey recipe worth trying, it’s almost impossible to not eat them while they’re still warm.
Remember to use the hashtag #nutritiouslynaughty and tag me on INSTAGRAM if you make them, I love seeing your creations!
Makes 8-16 (depending how big you want them)
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
4 tbsp cold water
100g ground almonds
100g gluten free oat flour (or just blend gluten free oats until you are left with a flour)
Pinch of salt
65g dark chocolate, roughly chopped (I used a refined sugar free one)
160g smooth peanut butter (I used Koro UK)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
120ml maple syrup
For the chocolate topping (optiona):
30g melted coconut oil (I used Koro UK)
15g cacao powder (I used Indigo Herbs)
30ml maple syrup
- Combine the flaxseed and water and leave it to thicken for 5 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 170oc then lightly grease a 7×7 inch square cake tin with coconut oil and line the bottom with greaseproof paper
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground almonds, oat flour, salt and dark chocolate
- Now the flaxseed mixture has thickened, stir in the peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract and almond milk
- Pour the liquid mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients
- Stir everything together until you have a thick, sticky dough
- Press the dough into the lined cake tin then bake the cookie bars for 25 minutes so they are starting to brown on top
- Leave the cookie bars to cool in the tin for 30 minutes before removing and placing them on a cooling rack to cool completely
- To make the topping, simply mix together the three ingredients
- Drizzle the chocolate over the top of the cookie bars
- Leave the chocolate to set before slicing into bars and enjoying!