I love these gluten free, high-protein vegan trifles but they are definitely an indulgent dessert! If you can’t treat yourself at Christmas when can you?! These delicious desserts are made up of a layer of chocolate cake pieces topped with a chocolate peanut butter sauce and coconut cream.
Coconut cream is not tolerable for all of those who follow the low FODMAP diet due to the fat content so definitely test your tolerance before using it in desserts. Personally I am fine with a few spoonfuls like in this dessert so hopefully you are too. I decided to use quite a lot of chia seed and chocolate protein powder to provide the bulk in these trifles as they are traditionally quite a rich dessert so I wanted to provide a more guilt-free version by increasing the nutritional content. I also opted to use ground almonds for the cake layer instead of flour to lower the overall carb content.
I think these would make the perfect Christmas Day dessert (if you have space)!
Makes 1 large or 4 single serving desserts
1 scoop chocolate vegan protein powder (25g)
35ml maple syrup
30g ground almonds
3 tbsp cold water
½ tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
2 scoops chocolate vegan protein powder (50g)
2 tbsp Indigo Herbs Cacao Powder
6 tbsp smooth peanut butter
8 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
4 tbsp maple syrup
250ml coconut cream (I used a carton of coconut cream but you could use the top layer from a can)
2 tbsp maple syrup
½ tsp vanilla extract
Optional extras to decorate: cacao nibs, desiccated coconut, chopped nuts
- Place the coconut cream carton in the freezer for 10 minutes and then store it in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the dessert
- Soak the chia protein powder in the cold water for 10 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 165oc
- To make the cake layer mix together all the ingredients until a thick batter forms
- Divide the mixture between 4 silicone cupcake cases (or paper cases in a cupcake tray)
- Bake for 20 minutes then leave them to cool slightly before removing them from the cases, place on a cooling rack to cool completely
- To make the chocolate layer combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth
- Leave the chocolate mixture in the fridge while you prepare the rest
- Pour the coconut cream into a large bowl (it should have thickened in the fridge) and mix with an electric whisk until it starts to thicken
- Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract before whisking again until the mixture is nice and thick
- To assemble the trifles first crumble the cooled cakes in the bottom of the glasses or dessert bowls
- Then drizzle over some of half of the chocolate mixture, followed by the coconut cream then repeat until you have two layers of each
- Sprinkle over your choice of topping then store them in the fridge
- Or eat them straight away!