If you haven’t tried blondies before then you are seriously missing out. Think chocolate chip vanilla sponge cake with the texture of brownies! This recipe is so quick and easy to prepare but makes the most delicious chocolatey treat. I love my cakes beautifully decorated and indulgent but sometimes there is nothing better than a simple, gooey cake that can be created with minimal effort.
This moorish recipe is gluten free, low FODMAP, vegan and refined sugar free (if you use refined sugar free chocolate) while also being affordable and delicious.
Trust me, if you try these you won’t be disappointed!
Makes 12 blondies
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
4 tbsp cold water
100g ground almonds
190g rice flour (I used Indigo Herbs brown rice flour)
75g vegan dark chocolate, roughly chopped
45g melted coconut oil
100g almond butter or walnut butter (I used Indigo Herbs walnut butter)
150ml maple syrup
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
260ml unsweetened almond milk
- Mix the flaxseed together with the water and leave it to sit for 5 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 170oc then lightly grease and line a 7×7 inch square with greaseproof paper
- Combine the ground almonds, rice flour and chopped chocolate in a large bowl
- Add the remaining ingredients to your blender or food processor and pulse 3-4 times until everything is combined
- Add the mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients and mix thoroughly until you are left with a thick batter
- Pour the batter into the lined cake tin and bake for 30 minutes until the cake has risen and is firm to the touch
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 30 minutes
- Remove the cake from the tin, placing it on a cooling rack to cool completely before cutting