Now that summer is on its way it’s the perfect time to start finding simple, tasty meals that are light enough but full of flavour and can be enjoyed both hot and cold. I’m not a big salad-lover but when I do eat them I like them to be hearty and comforting meaning they need to include things like sweet potatoes, squash, lentils and/or chickpeas!
This gluten free, refined sugar free, low FODMAP and vegan salad is so easy to prepare and doesn’t miss out on flavour thanks to the fresh coriander and refreshing dressing.
I love using black sesame seeds to dress my salads and stir-fries but if you can’t find them then regular sesame seeds will work just as well!
200g peeled sweet potatoes
½ 400g tin of green lentils (drained & rinsed)
A pinch of salt
2 tsp dried mixed herbs
20g pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
½ tbsp black sesame seeds
2 tbsp cider vinegar
½ tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200oc and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper
- Chop the sweet potatoes into 1 inch chunks then combine them to a bowl with the ½ tbsp of coconut oil (you may need to melt it if it’s not soft enough) and dried herbs
- Spread the chopped sweet potato out on the tray and roast for 25-30 minutes until tender
- While the sweet potato is cooking you can prepare the rest of the dish
- Heat the remaining coconut oil in a pan over a low/medium heat then gently toast the pumpkin seeds for 4-5 minutes until they start to brown and puff up slightly
- Place the seeds to one side to cool
- To make the dressing simply whisk together the amino, vinegar and oil
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked, place the rocket at the bottom of a bowl then top it with the lentils and sweet potato
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad then sprinkle on the pumpkin seeds, black sesame seeds and coriander to garnish
- If you don’t eat all of the salad straight away then it is perfect cold for lunch the following day!